Thursday 21 October 2010

The end is nigh?

Been a long time since my last musing. Lots has happened since then, but today, hopefully one long and painful chapter of my life could be about to draw to a close. Finally, after almost 3 years, dozens of trips to the hospital,  Christ knows how many hours in Pilates and Physio sessions and several hundred of pounds wasted with various osteopaths and acupuncturists, my consultant looked at a recent MRI scan, diagnosed the unmistakable bulging disk that has been compressing into my sciatic nerve every time I stand up and referred me to Charing Cross hospital for an operation to trim it back to it's normal size.

Now, I know there are no guarantees with any surgery and also that this operation in particular comes with some pretty hair-raising risks, but tonight I'm feeling positive.

I apologise to everyone who has been frustrated with me and my limitations over the past few years. I don't apologise to those who probably thought I was making it all up.

But now, all I want to do, is think of all the wonderful things that most people take for granted but those that I've been scared I'll never be able to do without pain.

Play golf, go to a theme park, stand up at gigs, go to festivals, catch a tube at rush hour, walks on the beach, look round the shops, take my son to the park, watch him play football, drinks receptions, stand in a queue,  walk round a museum, prepare a meal, iron my clothes...

Ok, maybe I'm not really looking forward to the last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment