Saturday 22 May 2010

Smashed!

Surely for anyone with an iPhone or similar smartphone device, this is pretty much your worst nightmare? Well, it certainly was for me the other night.

All had gone well that evening. I'd been to a really great gig to see White Rabbits (check them out on Spotify if you don't know them!) and I was nicely oiled. Too nicely oiled it would seem, as when I jumped off the tube at Green Park (admittedly like a twat) my phone flew out of my pocket and went bounding down the platform ahead of me. As you can see from the picture, my worst fears were quickly confirmed.

As the tube resurfaced at Barons Court, this was usually my cue to get back in touch with the world. As soon as the magic 3G symbol appeared, I would catch up with friends on Twitter or Facebook, deal with any new work emails, read the news, check the weather, you name it. After just a few minutes without my iPhone and with plenty of time to think, I realised just how utterly dependent I'd become to it. Having your entire music collection in your pocket now seems like a basic human right. And how the hell are you meant to negotiate your way around unfamiliar parts of London without GPS? I didn't even know what the time was as I made my way home. I've long since abandoned my watch.

More upsetting was that I was hoping to blog from my London - Paris trip next week. Now it seems I will be limited to the crude form of Twitter that I've managed to crank up on my old makeshift Sony Ericsson.

Or maybe I'll be able to find an Internet Cafe. That's what we used to do in the olden days, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment